Sunday, November 22, 2009

H1N1 Vaccine

H1N1 is all over the place. It drives me nuts. Not that I am trying to make light of it, I know the flu can be deadly, but the uproar is just too much and the media doesn't help!

So a big topic amongst moms, who is getting their child vaccinated??

I was on the fence about it. It's a new vaccine and I am just waiting to hear some sort of recall for it because it is causing X,Y,Z.

Hailey's pedi recommended it, but doesn't have it. Great. She has received the regular flu vacc, however. I had two conditions for considering getting Hailey vaccinated:

1. It had to be administered by her pedi's office. I was NOT about to stand in line at some random clinic with hundreds of other people, who are possibly sick themselves, with Hailey in tow. No, thanks. Plus, I don't know those people administering it and much rather have it done by the nurses at the pedi's office whom I know are safe & clean.

2. It had to be thimerasol free (I admit I have no idea how this is really supposed to be spelled. I have seen so many ways, I just picked one). They make a specific vaccine that is thimerasol free for infants 6 months - 3 years old. The pedi's office has those for a very short time before they are out of it. They would be willing to give the one with thimerasol, but not without warning. For me, it was a "Hell No, I'll wait."

It just so happened when I took Hailey in for an appointment on Friday that they had the thimerasol free vaccine! So I jumped at the chance. Hailey is officially H1N1 vaccinated.

1 comment:

Georgy said...

I went back and forth on whether or not to get Justin vaccinated, and like you, I had the same conditions. But I finally decided that the benefits outweighed the risks, so he got his shot last week.