Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Early Intervention: DENIED!

I got a letter from the Regional Center today. Early Intervention services were denied because Hailey is functioning at an age appropriate level. She is not considered a high risk infant because she shows no signs of developmental delays.

This is great right? Then why was I slightly disappointed? Don't get me wrong, I am beyond excited that she is functioning at an age appropriate level and shows no signs of developmental delays! But I was comfortable with the OT coming on a regular basis to ensure she is STILL progressing the way she should. I am surprised that after ONE evaluation that they have made this decision.

BUT this IS good news so I am going to take it as that and trust my pedi to pick up on any delays she may be having, if any! So Hooray for a denial!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

This is good news! Enjoy your time with your little one and try not to worry-though it is hard.

Through most states, you can have your child evaluated many times if you feel there is a concern. I am having Stink reevaluated in a month after he was discharged for speech delays.

Your daughter is beautiful.

MtnGirl said...

Momto1 is right. You can request another eval if you feel like your baby is not developing correctly. We usually do a screening and then a full blown evaluation with at least two professionals. At that time, if the professionals (i.e. OT, PT, Speech or Early intervention specialist/developmental therapist) determine based on their testing, that the child is on target developmentally then that is is. However, if you have further concerns, ask for another eval. Otherwise, it is great news to hear everything seems to be on target!