Friday, August 22, 2008

Hailey's progress

Hailey was breathing on her own from the beginning wasn't put on any oxygen which was great! The doctor was really surprised she was only 33 weeks considering her size. She tested 9 & 9 on the Apgar test. Her coloring was great and she seemed to be doing great.

Next Day...1 day old

She was still doing great with oxygen. She needed to be able to tolerate feedings and she wasn't tolerating them very well. She would either spit up or not digest have of what was given to her (15cc originally then upped to 20cc). This was going to be her challenge. She needed to regulate her breathing while feeding too. She was tube fed (tube through her nose directly into her stomach). At the time she didn't need an IV but if she didn't start tolerating soon, she would.

Throughout the day she still was only tolerating half of her food. They put her on an IV so help with nutrients and while still going with the feedings. They discovered she had a mild case of Jaundice and was put under blue lights.

Slowly she began to tolerate the 20cc but still not enough. They were telling me that breast milk would be so much better for her and I was just starting to pump with no progress.

2 Days Old

She was up to 25cc. She was tolerating the 20cc just fine. She is having a reflex problem. She was pooping just fine and often but when she was fed, it would back up (like acid reflex) and push on her diaphragm causing her heart rate to go down for just a few seconds. She would do this 1-2 times a feeding. They decided to give her antibiotics to help move her process along meaning getting t he poop out faster so there was room for her new food.

By the time it was 9pm and I was released, she was still struggling with it BUT she drank 5cc from a nipple (bottle). Which is so great because 33 weekers usually do not take to a nipple.

3 days old (so far today)

The nurse bottle fed her 25cc before I got there!! GREAT NEWS! I was so excited. I got there just in time for another feeding so I fed her. They were going to up her 1cc every feeding so now we were trying 26cc (goal of 50cc). She ate 10cc and then fell dead asleep!! Nurse said she got way too comfortable in my arms! They tube fed her the rest since we couldn't wake her up.

Doctor came by and said to stop the antibiotics, stop the blue lights and decrease the IV amount with every feeding along with increasing the feedings 1cc each time. GREAT NEWS again!! Plus I got a tiny bit of milk out with the last pump so my boobs are starting to work! YAY!! More updates to come. We are going back to see her again later today.

3 comments:

julie said...

I'm so glad she's doing so well

Justin and Natalie said...

SO WONDERFUL! I am so glad she's doing alright. Ya'll are in my prayers.

The Staker Family said...

Wow again, I am so glad that she is doing so great! I was really worried when I first saw that she had come! Can't wait for more updates.