Tuesday, October 7, 2008

I hate Reflux

Hailey has reflux, I am not sure if I talked about this much before. It's kinda like acid reflux adults get but a little different. Every baby has a form of it (spit ups) just some are worse than others. Reflux is very common in preemies and Hailey has the luxury of being one of them.

Her reflux is the reason for her being on the apnea monitor. Reflux makes her food back up her esophagus which pushes on her diaphragm and slows her heart rate (This is called a Brady). It can be very painful.

This past weekend it really seemed to be acting up. She was crying throughout feedings and after feedings. Spitting up a lot more than normal. No Bradys (thank God). Choking more often and arching her back in pain although hungry and wanting to eat just not having a great time with it.

I decided to call her pedi yesterday just to see what I can do to help her. I tried keeping her upright and elevated 20-30 minutes after eating, elevating her mattresses (put a phone book underneath), burping her more often when eating, and giving her a pacifier (when she would actually take it) after she eats because it helps push her food back down in her tummy where it belongs. The pedi wanted her to come in.

So we went in today. She now weighs 8lb 6oz! Obviously the frequent spitting up wasn't effecting her that much! The doctor doesn't think it's getting worse, it could have been what I ate the day I pumped the milk she drank (I am so far ahead with my milk supply I don't remember what I ate the day she's eating). or just a random bad reflux day which can happen. Overall, she's not worried because Hailey is still gaining weight rapidly and looks great when examined. And of course, as it works out, Hailey seems to be doing much better today...figures. But still great.

One bit of shocking news is that her doctor plans to possibly have Hailey on the apnea monitor until she's 6 months old! SERIOUSLY? It hasn't even gone off. She wasn't put on it because she has apnea episodes. Strange. I don't know. Whatever. While the monitor can be annoying, it is a great piece of mind. We don't really have to worry about SIDS because this monitor alarms if she were to stop breathing for more than 20 seconds. Having reflux, putting her on her side to sleep can help so having her hooked up to the monitor allows us to do that. Because of SIDS, side sleeping is a huge no-no.

It just sucks that she gets to spend the 1st 6 months of her life hooked up to monitors with those sticky leads suck to her skin and wires hanging out the bottom of her clothes. Plus when she goes to daycare, she'll still be on it so I don't know if this will effect her acceptance. We have a lady in mind who will watch her 2 days a week. She runs an at home daycare out of her home. Having an apnea monitor is a lot of responsibility to take on and I wouldn't blame her if she didn't want to deal with it while also caring after other kids too. Especially since she doesn't charge that much compared to other home daycare so add that to taking on a preemie with an apnea monitor...may not be worth it for her. We'll see.

My job allows me to be off 2 days during the week, which will cover the 2 days she would have to be in daycare but then I work all weekend long and there is not 1 day in which Randy and I will have off together. Not to mention I don't really want to be with this company for long after I go back. I am ready to move on to a different company, but that also means working a Mon-Fri job. I am not going back into retail HR, I want to get away from it because it doesn't pay well.

Okay now I feel like I am rambling! Hailey's next appointment is on October 20th for her 2 month check up. Also that same night, we are taking professional pictures of Hailey with the same photographer who did my wedding. Can't wait!!

No comments: